Monday, July 10, 2006

Initiative - You'll Have To Teach It

Initiative
If you’ve ever hired an employee without initiative, you know that most of the money you paid that employee was wasted. You spent all too much time telling your employees what to do when they are doing nothing. “Why can’t they just do the things that they need to do and be productive?” you say to yourself over and over again.

All to many people underestimate the power initiative has in an average days work until you’ve gone through this scenario.

There are many reasons why employees don’t step up and do the work that is needed. The biggest is because in many cases they have not been taught how to take the initiative and therefore can’t without being taught how to do it.

One way to overcome it in your current employees is to create a detailed job description, which lays out in clear details what is expected of them. I clearly remember my second job in high school. My boss told me that the most important thing to do was to never let the customers wait to pay. So I hovered by the cash register.

He never told me his second most important job function…. So after two weeks he wanted to fire me because I was just standing by the cash register. Even though I thought that was what I was supposed to do. I was wrong. I didn’t know that I was supposed to use my initiative.

After we had a talk, another employee told me “Don’t just stand there, look busy. Sweep, dust, arrange, clean and/or organize.” Oh, then I got the big picture. I learned his system. It would have been much easier if he had it documented.

As you talk to potential employees, listen for instances where the interviewee showed his/her initiative. Ask questions that will bring this out. Some examples are:

1. Tell me of a time when you used your initiative and worked independently to either create a plan or make something positive happen?
2. Discuss a situation where you have shown your ability to conceptualize an idea[s] and reorganize information into new patterns.
3. In your last job, what kind of things did you do when you were slow? What kind of things were you supposed to do?
4. When you saw someone doing what they weren't supposed to do what did you do?
5. Did your company have a suggestion box? What type of suggestions did you put into the suggestions box?

Or you can give a scenario and ask what they would do in that situation.

Initiative is the first skill to look for in a successful employee.


Take from the Special Report #4 How to Get Someone Qualified! Found at The Image Foundry

No comments: